Saturday, November 29, 2008

Talking about 007...

How the quality of the 007 movies opening title sequence evolved, in 45 years, though still preserving themes such as "women in silluete" and the "travel of the bullet".

1962 - Dr. No


1973 - Live and Let Die


1997 - Tomorrow Never Dies


2008 - Quantum of Solace


This is how the "über cool red computerized girl", of the 1997 'Tomorrow Never Dies' opening, descrived her experience, 10 years later:
"Girls shake and shimmy on screen for the venerable Mr Bond. Hey I'm in it!

When I had a casting for the job in London, my boyfriend at the time told me to dance as if my body were covered in gold paint. [Goldfinger-inspired tip]

I think that visualization helped and sure enough, I got the part. I was in France on holiday when I heard the good news.

There were three of us dancing, and we all got on really well. The song, we all agreed, was fantastic; we never tired of it through many, many takes. A choreographer led us through the moves, but mostly the vibe was catwalk and attitude. We were all models, so this came easily to us.

The director of the title sequence Danny Kleinman was really a darling man, and proved that he had the vision and the talent.

By far it was my favorite job, and the one I'll have the most fun telling my grandchildren about one day..."
Will her grandchildren still be watching 007 movies? Very likely. Tomorrow never ceases changing... but slowly.