Thursday, December 25, 2008

To sell or not to sell

Dear Wikipedia friends,

I'm answering to Jimmy Wales appeal and and making a donnation to Wikipedia.

But I really can not understand what is the big deal with having some Google links in a quiet sidebar and have them pay for your explendid work and for the service it renders to all of us (I was going to write "mankind", thought it too grandiouse, but I do think you guys are doing something remarkable for all mankind).

I certainly would hate having pop-ups, banners, stupid-things-flying-over-the-
page, and the likes at Wikipedia, but I honestly can see no harm in a few, discrete, well-behaved, sometimes thought-provoking, Google (or any other's) links on the sidebar. All major free content providers -- PBS, BBC etc. -- have some sort of funding from advertising. It is just common sense.

Additionally, I think you guys are not giving the necessary thought to finding a second alternative to donnation, other than advertising (though I appreciate and constantly buy at the memorabilia online store). For instance: what if you had other sites, where it would be all too natural to insert advertising or to charge for content? Something with quizzes, tests, homework/research support or a number of other type of content that do not occur to me right now.

Though I'm making my donation, I sort of feel I'm placating the thirst of the drunkard.

All the best,